The Small Council is a small group of advisors who advise the Lord of the Seven Kingdoms on matters of policy and their areas of expertise, while also micromanaging these areas. While Aegon the Conqueror relied on a council of advisors, it was not until Jaehaerys I Targaryen that the small council was formally created. The council is headed by the king, the only who can make the council's decisions into law. In his absence this role falls to the Hand of the King or the regent if the king is too young. There are seven official positions on the council.
- Hand of the King: Right-hand of the king.
- Lord Commander of the Kingsguard: Commanding officer of the king's royal bodyguard.
- Master of Coin: Head of the treasury and the finances of the kingdom.
- Master of Laws: Oversees law and justice in the kingdoms.
- Master of Whisperers: The spymaster, and the head of intelligence.
- Master of Ships: Oversees the royal navy.
- Grand Maester: Head advisor on matters of lore and wisdom.